Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My latest woodworking projects

I finished up two projects lately that I am very proud of. Both were Pinterest items that I saw and figured out how to make myself. The first was a sign that I made for a wedding gift and the second was a flag for my schoolroom.

The wedding gift that I made was for the Crawfords, Eva and Garrett. I've known the bride since she was Hannah's age. Her wedding date is April 20. I love this story. We were all reassured and encouraged how God works in our lives even in the tiniest details.

When I delivered the sign to them, the bride was not home. I gave it to her mom. First thing she asked me was "How did I know?" Confused, I said "know, what?" She'd then replied that her whole wedding was a chalkboard theme. Turns out that the sign that I saw a month ago on Pinterest was originally listed on Etsy. The bride and groom were looking to buy one just 2 days prior! I first noticed the sign and decided to make it for her exactly at the same time that she was looking at it too. It was never a question in my mind to buy something off her registry. This is something that I never do. I haven't made a handmade wedding gift in probably 10 years. But for some reason, I was moved to make this exact sign for her. Turns out God was working!

The bride came home that night and was overwhelmed to tears. She wrote me sweetest note sharing this story. They plan to put it above their bed. Maybe, they'll even use it as decoration in their wedding. Wouldn't it be cute beside the gift table? It encouraged me to continue making signs and projects via my little company, Tennessee Girl Crafts and use my God given talents and gifts for God's glory.

Now, the American flag was first seen at Pottery Barn. They sell them for $129! No thanks. So I made one myself. Took me a whole weekend but I did it. It's huge! Almost 3 ft wide by 2 feet tall. It's perfect on my mantle in my schoolroom/playroom. We all love it. I do believe I'll distress it later. I love the colors so much that I'm scared that I might not love it as much when I distress it. Jason says that I can always repaint it again if I don't like it which is true but I don't want to mess with it. It looks too good right now. Don't you agree?




The original Etsy sign seen on Pinterest

My version





Pinterest flag
My flag

No comments: