Friday, April 27, 2012

Shelley's 1st canvas drawing

For a different and fun GNO (Girls' Night Out) event, a handful of my friends decided to go to Spirited Art to paint. At Spirited Art, each artist is given a canvas, paints, aprons and all the supplies including a teacher to help you paint on canvas. You can choose a night where the whole class paints the same item as the teacher walks you through every brush stroke to make. Also, there are other nights that are open nights for you to choose which scene you want to paint. You freehand with help from the teacher as you go. We went on an open night. I have dabbled in painting only a few times and that was on my kids' bedroom walls and never on canvas. My Madeline and airplane rooms were quite easy compared to this. I was actually nervous and frustrated at times but still had fun.

I learned how to paint on canvas that night and how to mix paints to get my new colors. I was only given the primary colors of blue, red and yellow to begin with. All my shades of green were blended by my hands. I decided to paint birch trees. Originally, I wanted to paint this neat little cottage with bike on it but opted for the trees instead. If you've seen my bedroom, I planned for it to complement my decor in there. It's final hanging place ended up being on the upstairs hallway near the living room. The colors matched perfectly!

While painting on canvas, I realized quickly that this was not a gifting from God for me. I was given others. :)

I am happy with my drawing though and proud to have it on my wall as my first original painting.

The picture of the double birch trees shows the original drawing that I copied from Spirited Art on the right and my own on the left.

What do you think? I think I have the painting bug now and am looking forward to going back. I really want to attempt that bike drawing. Here's a picture of the original that one day I WILL copy.




No comments: